Give up those high sugar content breakfast cereals and opt for the humble Neeragaram (Pazhayathu)! Cheapest and best on an oppressively hot summer day, it adds much needed fluids to the body while keeping it full longer.
This is how you make it
- Left over Brown Rice/Parboiled Rice/Quinoa – 1 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
- Small Onion – 3 to 4 chopped roughly
- Green Chillies – 1 chopped finely
- Salt – to taste
- Immerse leftover rice fully in water overnight.
- Drain little water next morning then add buttermilk / curd.
- Smash it well with a ladle.
- Add little more water to bring it to porridge consistency.
- Add rock or Himalayan salt, finely chopped onion and green chillies, mix well.
- Pour into a glass and allow it to rest for a while.
- Serve cold with dried fried chillies (Moar Molaga) and finely chopped Onions.
You may also blend it in a blender with asafoetida and curry leaves for added flavour and smoother texture.